This page consists of informative videos on Atheism and/or popular Atheists in the media. These resources are useful to the religious, Atheists/Agnostics, or anyone else seeking to expand their knowledge base be it already comprehensive or not. It begins with the general and ends with individuals. If you have any other video(s) not already on the list that you believe are good enough to be included, provide the link in your comment.
Note: I will try to update this page often. The Atheist Experience TV show section at least, will be updated weekly.
Jonathan Miller’s Brief History of Disbelief
A fantastic 2005 documentary conducted by Atheist Jonathan Miller for the BBC detailing the history of Atheism. It includes from numerous academic luminaries, the likes of Arthur Miller, Richard Dawkins, Steve Weinberg, Colin McGinn, Denys Turner, Pascal Boyer and Daniel Dennet. As Jonathan Miller visits historical sites, Bernard Hill reads quotations from the works of famous atheists, agnostics, and deists that provide glimpses into the minds of skeptics and freethinkers of past ages.
There are three episodes in the series titled Shadows of Doubt, Noughts and Crosses and The Final Hour. There are also Six supplementary programs (the Atheism Tapes) with extended interview footage that did not make it into the series.
I think its important to make a series like this, because at a moment when intense commitments to different forms of monotheistic religion, have now acquired–or rather reacquired–such an intense political connotation, its important to indicate that the widespread suspicion of disbelief is becoming a real threat to free thought. It isn’t as if Atheism were a small religious sect. In fact, its not another form of religious belief at all, and its important to understand that disbelievers constitute a much larger percentage of the population than religious people–and especially politically motivated religious people–would like to think.
Links to watch The Atheism Tapes:
Part 1: Philosopher Colin McGinn (27 minutes)
Part 2: Nobel Prize winning Physicist Steven Weinberg (28 minutes)
Part 3: Playwright Arthur Miller (28 minutes)
Part 4: Biologist Richard Dawkins (18 minutes)
Part 5: Christian Theologian Denys Turner (29 minutes)
Part 6: Philosopher Daniel Dennett – 1 (9 minutes), 2 (9 minutes) and 3 (9 minutes)
Enjoyed The Atheism Tapes? Click here to purchase.
The Root of All Evil?
A two part documentary (2006) written and produced by prominent Atheist professor Richard Dawkins, (author of The God Delusion) in which he argues the world is better off without Religion.
He visits Lourdes in souther France, where he observes a candlelit procession of pilgrims and marvels at the sense of belonging they derive from their shared delusion. He sees believers lining up for healing water, noting that due to the sheer number of people that visit each year (80,000 sick) they are more likely to catch disease than experience miraculous recovery from their ailments. Richard Dawkins proceeds to detail the differences between Science and Faith, stating the former is under constant testing and revisioning as new evidence pours in unlike the latter that relies on and finds virtue in believing unprovable and most often improvable propositions.
He then visits Colorado Springs to see firsthand the rising influence of fundamentalist Christianity in the United States. He joins the 14,000 strong congregation of evangelical Pastor Ted Haggard at the $18 million worship center the New Life Church. The Pastor eventually orders Dawkin’s crew off his property, threatening legal action and confiscation of their recording hardware, with the words, “you called my children animals.” The professor interprets the reasons for the Pastor’s accusations, stating that as an evolutionary biologist, believing in evolution is in the Pastor’s eyes the same as calling his flock animals–which is essentially true of all humans.
Richard Dawkins’ final stop is in Jerusalem. He takes a guided tour of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, considered by some Christians as the site of the crucifixion and the burial place of Jesus. He observes with incredulity the heavy guard of the Temple Mount, one of the most contested religious sites in the world, enclosing the Al-Aqsa Mosque (for Muslims) and the Dome of the Rock (for Jews). He sees the site as a microcosm of much of what is wrong with religion and therefore one of the largest outdoor insane asylums, where a voice of reason is near impossible to find.
The documentary concludes with Bertrand Russel’s Celestial Teapot analogy, arguing that just because Science has not yet answered every conceivable question, is no good reason to turn to faith which fails to answer anything of actual significance.
Enjoyed The Root of All Evil? Click here to purchase.
The Four Horsemen
A two hour discussion between Richard Dawkins (author of The God Delusion), Daniel Dennett (author of Breaking the Spell), Sam Harris (author of End of Faith and its successor Letter to a Christian Nation), and Christopher Hitchens (author of God is Not Great). Together they trade stories of public reactions to their works, successes, criticisms, and common misconceptions. They discuss major obstacles and dangers the world faces because of religion and consider future strategies as we move forward.
Enjoyed The Four Horsemen? Click here to purchase.
Atheist Alliance International (AAI) Convention (2007)
According to the official AAI site:
“Authoritarian religion, aided by the apathy of the voting public, threatens to envelope us in ignorance, intolerance and tyranny. Atheism, with a human centered vision and a reality-based approach to problem solving, can lead us away from this regressive trap and back toward intellectual growth, personal freedom, and social, environmental and scientific progress. But to achieve these goals, there must be unified atheist action on a national scale. Atheists have a powerful independent streak, and atheist organizations must reflect this trait through freedom to develop and experiment, unhindered by a controlling centralized ‘moral’ power structure.”
Links to watch guest speakers at the AAI 2007 convention:
Richard Dawkins’ convention speech: 57 minutes.
Sam Harris’ convention speech: 1 hour and 6 minutes.
Daniel Dennett’s convention award and speech: 1 hour and 17 minutes.
Andy Thomson‘s convention speech: 1 hour and 16 minutes.
Christopher Hitchens’ convention speech: 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s convention speech: 53 minutes.
Eugenie Scott’s convention speech: 1 hour.
Matthew Chapman’s convention speech: 53 minutes.
Eddie Tabash’s convention speech: 43 minutes.
Enjoyed AAI 2007 Conference? Click here to purchase.
The God Who Wasn’t There
A 2005 documentary by Brian Flemming advocating Atheism.
According to the official site, in the film you discover:
“The early founders of Christianity seem wholly unaware of the idea of a human Jesus. The Jesus of the Gospels bears a striking resemblance to other ancient heroes and the figureheads of pagan savior cults. Contemporary Christians are largely ignorant of the origins of their religion. Fundamentalism is as strong today as it ever has been, with an alarming 44% of Americans believing that Jesus will return to earth in their lifetimes.”
Enjoyed The God Who Wasn’t There? Click here to purchase.
The Atheist Experience TV Show
According to the official site:
“The Atheist Experience is a weekly cable access television show in Austin, Texas geared at a non-atheist audience. Every week we field live calls from atheists and believers alike, and you never know what you’re going to get! Sometimes it can get quite feisty indeed! You don’t want to miss it.”
Links to watch episodes of The Atheist Experience:
- About The Atheist Experience (89 minutes)
- #331 – Stem Cells and Morning After Pill (89 minutes)
- #332 – The nonsense of the soul and the problem of evil (89 minutes)
- #334 – Gay vs Straight Parenting (89 minutes)
- #338 – The virgin birth myth and early non-Christian responses to it (59 minutes)
- #341 – The Apocalypse and Cognitive Science (89 minutes)
- #343 – How Atheists view Death (89 minutes)
- #346 – Christian Nation Myth (89 minutes)
- #350 – Creepy silliness of the end-times/rapture believers (89 minutes)
- #358 – Atheist Morality (89 minutes)
- #359 – Hell (89 minutes)
- #363 – Comparing Religious persuasion to Advertising (89 minutes)
- #367 – Proper ways of investigating Paranormal claims (89 minutes)
- #368 – The Inquisition and Halloween (89 minutes)
- #369 – The Bible in teen magazine form (89 minutes)
- #371 – The Christian Breeding Program (90 minutes)
- #372 – Religion as a means of evading responsibility (89 minutes)
- #374 – Memes & Genes, Euthyphro Project (89 minutes)
- #375 – The history related to Christmas (89 minutes)
- #377 – Media bias in favour of Religions (89 minutes)
- #378 – How Atheists celebrate various rites (89 minutes)
- #380 – The nature of Reasonable Evidence (89 minutes)
- #384 – Creationism and Intelligent Design (89 minutes)
- #385 – The Ten Commandments (89 minutes)
- #386 – Wacky Christian Paraphernalia (89 minutes)
- #388 – The challenges of Debating Theists (89 minutes)
- #389 – The holes in the Resurrection story (89 minutes)
- #390 – Mormonism (59 minutes)
- #395 – National Day of Prayer Protest (89 minutes)
- #398 – Science vs Pseudoscience (89 minutes)
- #400 – Bible stories that you’ll never hear in Church (89 minutes)
- #402 – Differences between Nihilism, Existentialism and Atheism (89 minutes)
- #404 – Scientology (89 minutes)
- #405 – Parallels between Christianity and The Matrix (89 minutes)
- #406 – Abortion (89 minutes)
- #409 – Theological conquest in Africa and how it relates to violence and AIDS (88 minutes)
- #412 – Is Atheism a Religion? (89 minutes)
- #413 – Sex in the Afterlife (89 minutes)
- #414 – The Meaning of Life (89 minutes)
- #417 – How Christianity manufactures Ignorance to perpetuate itself (89 minutes)
- #418 – Arguments for and Against the existence of God(s) (89 minutes)
- #421 – Same Sex Marriage (89 minutes)
- #425 – Opiate of the Masses (89 minutes)
- #426 – Causes and Effects of too much religious belief (89 minutes)
- #427 – Anti-Reason themes in Narnia (89 minutes)
- #431 – Cosmology vs Creationism (89 minutes)
- #432 – Jewish vs Christian Old Testament (89 minutes)
- #433 – Sin (89 minutes)
- #434 – Religious hypersensitivity to criticism and parody (89 minutes)
- #435 – Darwin Day (89 minutes)
- #437 – Humanism, a world view embraced by many Atheists (89 minutes)
- #438 – Christian efforts to take over local governments (89 minutes)
- #441 – God vs Mankind (89 minutes)
- #443 – Interpreting the results of prayer (89 minutes)
- #445 – Religion and interbreeding (89 minutes)
- #446 – Lying with numbers (89 minutes)
- #448 – Are Church and State really separate? (90 minutes)
- #449 – Does pro-life rhetoric make sense? (89 minutes)
- #452 – The fear and prejudice that often arises from Religion (89 minutes)
- #453 – The Christian claim of persecution in the US as a means of amassing power (89 minutes)
- #455 – An Atheist goes to Church (89 minutes)
- #456 – The Nature of Truth and the difficulty in knowing who to trust (89 minutes)
- #457 – Persecution by Christians (93 minutes)
- #463 – Are Atheists angry and bitter? (89 minutes)
- #466 – The horrible God of the Old Testament (90 minutes)
- #467 – An Atheist’s bookshelf (89 minutes)
- #469 – Why Religions can’t get their story straight and why we shouldn’t trust religious claims (89 minutes)
- #471 – Killing in the Bible (90 minutes)
- #472 – Halloween (90 minutes)
- #473 – The take over of the Republican party by the religious right and some of the resulting insanity (90 minutes)
- #474 – Trends in Atheism (89 minutes)
- #478 – Theomatics and other “bible code” nonsense (89 minutes)
- #479 – How the psychological defense mechanism of projection is used by the religious right (90 minutes)
- #482 – How prophets and psychics fool people (90 minutes)
- #485 – Atheist activism (90 minutes)
- #488 – Suicide (85 minutes)
- #490 – Atheist parenting (88 minutes)
- #492 – Deconversion (88 minutes)
- #493 – Pascal’s wager ie. “Believe or else!” (89 minutes)
- #495 – Belief polls (88 minutes)
- #496 – Deconversion Part 2 (88 minutes)
- #497 – Abuse and misuse of words by Theists as a mechanism for spinning the truth (88 minutes)
- #498 – Evidence for Evolution (88 minutes)
- #500 – Consciousness (88 minutes)
- #502 – Religion and Mental Health (88 minutes)
- #503 – Responding to apologists (88 minutes)
- #504 – Consciousness Part 2 (88 minutes)
- #505 – Atheist Humour (88 minutes)
- #509 – This is your brain on Religion (88 minutes)
- #510 – Evolutionary Psychology (88 minutes)
- #511 – New! Improved! God 3.0!
- #512 – Difference between disagreement and Intolerance (88 minutes)
- #514 – Dealing with mistakes and the different approaches taken by Science and Religion (88 minutes)
- #516 – Taoism as a blending between Religion and Atheism (88 minutes)
- #517 – Leaps of Faith required to embrace most mainstream religions (88 minutes)
- #518 – Altruism and Game Theory (88 minutes)
- #519 – Logical Fallacies (84 minutes)
- #520 – Impact explanatory function on existence (88 minutes)
- #522 – The inherent “bias” of Science and the bias that the media should have (88 minutes)
- #527 – Common themes in news stories of the religious living in a fantasy world (88 minutes)
- #529 – Religious Hypocrisy (88 minutes)
- #530 – Skeptical Straw Men in Fiction (88 minutes)
- #531 – Viewer Mail (88 minutes)
- #536 – Conversations with a Muslim apostate (88 minutes)
- #538 – Growing up Atheist (88 minutes)
- #540 – Agnosticism and Prejudice (88 minutes)
- #541 – The take over of the Military (88 minutes)
- #542 – Anti-Semitism (88 minutes)
- #543 – Miscellaneous Callers (88 minutes)
- #544 – Agnosticism (88 minutes)
- #546 – Framing Atheism (88 minutes)
- #548 – Skepticism and Children’s Books (87 minutes)
- #550 – What is Love? (88 minutes)
- The God Delusion BBC Interview (9 minutes)
- The God Delusion interview on CBC’s The Hour, August 4th 2007 – Part 1 (9 minutes) and Part 2 (4 minutes)
- CBC News interview, December 16th 2007 (14 minutes)
- Speech and Q&A at Randolph-Macon Woman’s College (1 hour and 47 minutes)
- Speech on An Atheist’s Call to Arms at TEDTalks, Monterey, California 2002 – (31 minutes)
- Speech on Queerer than we can suppose: the strangeness of science at TEDTalks 2005 – (22 minutes)
- Lecture on Neo-Darwinism (1 hour and 12 minutes)
- Debate with David Quinn on The Ryan Tubridy Show, October 9th 2006 (audio only, 22 minutes)
- Debate with John Lennox, University of Alabama at Birmingham – (audio only, 1 hour and 40 minutes)
- Debate on BBC’s The Big Questions, April 6th 2008 – parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- God Is Not Great interview on CBC’s The Hour – Part 1 (6 minutes) and Part 2 (5 minutes)
- God Is Not Great interview with Lou Dobbs (6 minutes)
- Debate with George Galloway at Baruch College, September 13th 2005 (1 hour and 54 minutes)
- Debate with Scott Ritter at Tarrytown, NY, December 20th 2005 (audio only, 1 hour and 42 minutes)
- Debate with Al Sharpton at New York Public Library, May 7th 2007 – (1 hour and 29 minutes)
- Speech and Q&A at Authors@Google Talks, August 16th, 2007 (1 hour and 8 minutes)
- Debate with Dinesh D’Souza at King’s College, October 22nd 2007 (1 hour and 34 minutes)
- Letter To A Christian Nation interview on Expanded Books (4 minutes)
- Speech at Idea City, June 2005 (23 minutes)
- Speech and Q&A on SPAN2 (Book TV), November 2005 (1 hour and 22 minutes)
- Speech on The View From the End of the World at SALT Talk, December 9th 2005 (1 hour and 22 minutes)
- Sam Harris debate with Robert Scheer and Chris Hedges on Truthdig, May 2007
- Speech at Aspen Ideas Festival, July 2007 (Quicktime video)
- Speech at Beyond Belief: Enlightenment 2.0, November 2nd 2007 (61 minutes)
- Breaking the Spell interview on Charlie Rose, (57 minutes)
- Breaking the Spell interview on Beyond Belief (TSN) (79 minutes)
- Speech on Darwin’s Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meaning of Life (62 minutes)
- Speech on Evolution, Culture, and Truth at Tufts University, December 2001 (56 minutes)
- Speech at TEDTalks, February 2002 (17 minutes)
- Speech at TEDTalks, February 2003 (23 minutes)
- Speech on Domesticating the Wild Memes of Religion, September 21st 2006 (41 minutes)
- Speech at TEDTalks, February 2006 (25 minutes)
Ayaan Hirsi Ali
- Interview and Q&A on Is Islam Compatible with Democracy? at Aspen Ideas Festival, July 2007 (59 minutes)
- Interview with Fareed Zakaria on Foreign Exchange (13 minutes)
- Interview on HardTalk (10 minutes)
- Interview on On The Map (9 minutes)
- Interview with Glenn Beck (7 minutes)
- Interview on Anderson Cooper (3 minutes)